THE PARABLE OF TALENTS
| Mt 25,14-30
- 14 "The case is that of a man, going into another country,
- who called his own servants, and entrusted his goods to them.
- 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one;
- to each according to his own ability.
Then he went on his journey.
- 16 Immediately he who received the five talents went and traded
- with them, and made another five talents.
- 17 In like manner he also who got the two gained another two.
- 18 But he who received the one went away and dug in the earth,
- and hid his lord's money.
- 19 "Now after a long time the lord of those servants came, and
- reconciled accounts with them.
- 20 He who received the five talents came and brought another five talents,
- saying, 'Lord, you delivered to me five talents.
- Behold, I have gained another five talents besides them.'
- 21 "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.
- You have been faithful over a few things,
- I will set you over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
- 22 "He also who got the two talents came and said,
- 'Lord, you delivered to me two talents.
- Behold, I have gained another two talents besides them.'
- 23 "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.
- You have been faithful over a few things, I will set you
- over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
- 24 "He also who had received the one talent came and said,
- 'Lord, I knew that you are a hard man,
- reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter.
- 25 I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the earth.
- Behold, you have what is yours.'
- 26 "But his lord answered him,
- " You worthless , lazy lout !
' wicked and slothful servant.
- You knew that I reap where I did not sow,
- and gather where I didn't scatter. "
- 27 You ought therefore to have deposited my money with the bankers,
- so that on my return I would have received back my own with interest.
- 28 Take away therefore the talent from him,
- and give it to him who has the ten talents.
- 29 For to everyone who has will be given,
- and he will have abundance,
- but from him who has not, even that which he has will be taken away.
- 30 Throw out the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness,
- where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'